Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Merry Christmas from the Ice

It’s December 25th here and my Christmas has been split up into 2 days. The big Christmas meal was on the 24th which I attended with friends at 7:00 pm. It was my morning so I just drank coffee and visited. I went for a nice hike before our midnight Christmas meal and took breaks to watch the seals laze about in an open lead.


Midrats (this is what the midnight meal for night workers is called. I think it may stand for “midnight rations”) was great. There were only a few people and we let the sun light the room so it was really mellow. We lingered for a few hours, grazed and visited. The food was wonderful, as were all the desserts. It was sad not to have Ben with me and I hope he enjoyed his Christmas at the South Pole.

I went to bed on the 25th around 11:00 am and woke up about 7:00 pm which seemed like a real Christmas morning to me. Some friends came over and we opened a box from Jim & Zoe filled with all kinds of homemade goodies. It was fun to have something to open on Christmas “morning”.

Here is a picture of me and my fellow night shift shuttle drivers Jim and Sarah. Sarah and her roommates made this “tree” and it’s right outside their dorm room.


Some random pictures follow – not related to Christmas!
This one reminded me of a golf hole, water obstacle Antarctica style. Those are the pressure ridges in the background. This is for Karen & Sue especially.


This one I was trying to be arty thinking of Tim Remick. This is the view out my side mirror in the Delta.


We will have a big outdoor music festival next week, then a New Year’s party at the Kiwi base, then it’ll be January and time to start talking to people about places to travel. Then, before you know it, it will be February and time to prepare for redeployment back to New Zealand and begin our travels!

I hope you all are having a great holiday season and that you are all healthy and happy.
Cheers & love,
Gretchen

No comments: