High spirits dominated the station as the sun shone 2 days this week. We saw our shadows for the first time on Friday.
Last night I climbed Ob hill with a friend named Sean. That's the hill with the moon next to it from earlier in the blog. It was nighttime but the view was still discerable in the polar half light. It was a short hike but very good for perspective. The 500 meter diameter town becomes your whole world perspective down here. I was able to see the New Zealand base, Mount Erebus (benignly active volcano). I continue to try to orient myself. The sun is in the North and rotates the other direction in the sky. Map reading here has me back at the beginner level. Apparently this is normal for us from the Northern Hemisphere. Anyway, my world got bigger.
Later that night it was off to the coffee house where 4 singers were performing. I one I caught was creative and incorporated Antarctic themes into his songs. It's a creative bunch of people on the whole.
The Carpenter Shop has become very friendly. Several of us migrated back there today on our day off. Ping Pong was ferocious and Nagel was hilarious. Nagel involves driving a sturdy nail with a chisel shaped hammer. Here's a photo.
Safety glasses are required for participants of Nagel. Beer is often drunk during the driving of nails. Yes, it is as hard as it looks.
For further foolishness, Sean, Jane, and I went and flew a stunt kite. It is a trainer similar to larger kites used for travel or recreation with skis or boards. I got a few shots before my hands went numb and the camera battery died a cold death.
Temp: -03 f Wind speed: 10-20 kts
Future:
I'm looking forward to a few things. Building the sledge that I mentioned before. And tomorrow I will be "tending" a diver as he takes the plunge through the sea ice. We will be helping with getting his dry suit on and assisting him in and out of the hole. FYI--there is slush on top of the 3 foot diameter hole and several feet of snow covers the sea ice. I imagine it is rather dark down there. Yikes. Finally, we are gaining an hour of daylight every 4 days. Warmer days are coming.
Warmth and Laughter to you all,
Ben
No comments:
Post a Comment