So, one of the highlights of this trip was spending lots of time at the seal hole watching them surface to breathe. We saw one the night before but there were 20 of us gathered around not being as quiet as we could have been, so the seal only barely stuck his nose out of the water. The next day was much quieter with just me and another person so I got some good shots, and a video even.
There were seals everywhere on the ice. From afar they look like giant black slugs.
The weather was perfect, not a breath of wind – which is highly unusual. I made it walking/running a lot further down the trail than I had expected.
The other highlight was just being away from town. I stopped a couple of times just to listen to the quiet. I’ve never been in a place as quiet. My ears were ringing with silence. It was incredible.
At one point I just realized, this is Antarctica and I am actually here. Those realizations are so fun to have. You can’t help but smile.

For the history buffs – our Shuttles trip the day before was a trip all the way to Scott’s Hut. It is open to visitors so it was neat to walk inside a structure that is perfectly preserved. Because it is so cold and dry things are just as they were left 100 years ago, including a penguin and a massive store of seal blubber. 19 men lived in this “hut” for 18 months. I was surprised at the size, high ceilings and separated spaces. I suppose when you put 19 men in there it may seem smaller.

last photo to sign off with – on top of the hill above the hut there is a cross, I thought this picture
The weather was perfect, not a breath of wind – which is highly unusual. I made it walking/running a lot further down the trail than I had expected.
The other highlight was just being away from town. I stopped a couple of times just to listen to the quiet. I’ve never been in a place as quiet. My ears were ringing with silence. It was incredible.
At one point I just realized, this is Antarctica and I am actually here. Those realizations are so fun to have. You can’t help but smile.
For the history buffs – our Shuttles trip the day before was a trip all the way to Scott’s Hut. It is open to visitors so it was neat to walk inside a structure that is perfectly preserved. Because it is so cold and dry things are just as they were left 100 years ago, including a penguin and a massive store of seal blubber. 19 men lived in this “hut” for 18 months. I was surprised at the size, high ceilings and separated spaces. I suppose when you put 19 men in there it may seem smaller.
last photo to sign off with – on top of the hill above the hut there is a cross, I thought this picture
came out pretty well. Note the closest land mass to the left on the sea ice – that’s actually an ice
burg. I had it cropped nicely, but have to upload it from my camera, so this is the original version.
Ben came back last night and it's nice to have him back in town.
Happy Thanksgiving to you all!
Gretchen
1 comment:
Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. If is possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll, I thank. Good bye friend.
Post a Comment