Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Condition 2

Hi All,

Last week I drove Ivan out to the LDB (long distance balloon) site in a Condition 2 with 40 people on board. A condition 2 is one step away from a Condition 1, which halts all travel. in condition 2's we have to check out with the firehouse, and then check back in once we reach our destination. It's all based on wind speed, visibility, and temperatures - which I don't have in front of me at the moment. Suffice to say, it's hard to see in a Condition 2 and the wind really whips.
All of our roads are flagged, since they are on the sea ice, or Continental Ice Shelf, and it's all a big white expanse. I could see the flags no problem, but even with orange lenses in my sunglasses I couldn't see the actual road. It hadn't been plowed yet so I just powered through the snow drifts and we made it without getting stuck.



Bill was with me because it had been 3 weeks since I had driven Ivan and he took this photo - without me even knowing. Things to note are the one flag to the left, and Ob Hill in front. Normally you can see the Scott Base as well.
The last few days have been considerably nicer; warmer with less wind, so it's been fun to get back outside and run and hike. On Sunday I walked over to the Scott Base with some friends and we ended up there for 3 hours. We got a tour of the base, had some wonderful espresso and hung out in their brand new lounge. Their lounge has windows that look out over the pressure ridges and a gas fireplace. it was pretty nice. For those of you who know my coffee addiction, the espresso was the highlight of my day!
Here's to good coffee and good friends,
Cheers,
Gretchen






No comments: