Thursday, November 1, 2007

Off to the great white.

Hello,

I'm scheduled tomorrow to go into the deep field about 800 miles east of McMurdo. The site is called WAIS. The purpose is to drill through 3 miles of ice and get samples and climate data from the millions of years of ice that have been deposited there. I'll be gone for about 18 days setting up a small temporary town for about 70 people. I'm looking forward to the experience but not the cold. It is typically -30 or -40 there right now. The horizon is blank white in all directions.

Talk to you all in a few weeks.

Gretchen will keep you posted.

Ben

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Best of luck on your next adventure Ben.

We will send warm desert thoughts your way. It will be about 90F today in AZ.

Cheers,
Kirk, Wendelynn, Lucy, & Ruby